Tuesday, January 21, 2014

yosemite 1991 Part 1

So many significant events filled my 18 year old petite life in 1991. For one, I was a senior in high school. Two, some of the greatest music was born and most importantly, I fell in love.

As I was belting up my high waisted Levi's and lacing up my darling white keds, I dreaded going to my part-time job at Mr. Kim's. Asking a Korean for more time off was a complete deal breaker for him. Tension between us was still crazy thick since I asked for time off for my senior prom, Cantwell's senior prom, gradnight and graduation. Clearly I was abusing his patience. So when I reluctantly asked for more time off to attend our annual summer family vacation to Yosemite, he not so reluctanly said no. I of course went to my Papa and he said, "quit".

The decisions I made that summer were equal parts quick and harsh and flavored with teenage conceit and doused in a heavy course of life's rough lessons. Sometimes I don't understand how the most difficult times in ones life can turn into pleasant memories. The struggle is quite a battle but honestly, this point in my life was welcoming and one of those summer's I will forever warmly remember because without it, my entire life as I know it would be nonexistent.

I didn't realize then that this was the last time I would unofficially be deamed as a child, a daydreamer, awkward and dependant. I guess that's why this moment is so deeply rooted in me.

As the second day of our trip commenced, the three of us decided to make a homemade raft. We floated down stream and the Merced River never felt so peaceful like it did that day. Ironically that would be the last time I would know life without him. I now wished I would have enjoyed that moment a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment